Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default Wireless doorbells outdone!

"Owain" wrote in message
On Jul 12, 7:10 pm, Huge wrote:
I (or rather, one of my lads) was once called out to a "printer not
working"
fault which was actually caused by the users unplugging the wall-wart
power supply and putting it in a drawer "because all those wires are
untidy".

I remember in the days of Thin Ethernet going round whole buildings
trying to find who'd broken the chain.

"Anybody moved any furniture recently" was usually an early diagnostic
question.

I remember wondering why ~half the machines on a thinnet had suddenly
stopped seeing the server.
You could ping the machines from other machines but not from the server.
It turned out that some bright spark wanted two machines in one place so had
bought a Tee piece and a length of cable and connected them in.
this resulted in a nice set of null points in the network caused by the
reflections from the, now, incorrectly terminated machines.