Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus15459 Ignoramus15459 is offline

Default Drilling and brazing a fuel tank

On 2011-07-12, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
"Michael A. Terrell" fired this volley in
m:

It was on the neck. Just a few inches of metal that wasn't under
water. It turned out the inside of the tank was quite rusty, which
wasn't visible before it blew.

Well... "sitting on empty" and "empty, and open to the air" for two years
are two different things.

Exactly.

The tank may have had little usable fuel, but was closed and trapped
the remainder and the fumes.

In my case, the tank is dry, the inlet is open, and I turned the tank
over so that it sits outside, under the sun, with the open inlet
pointing down.