Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Dishwashing machines need phosphates

Joseph Gwinn on Mon, 11 Jul 2011 10:43:47 -0400

I did look - they were all clean, mostly because I pre-rinse the heavy
stuff right into the disposal.

Joe Gwinn

FWIW, we're having exactly the same smell problem with our dishwasher, and I
haven't be able to figure it out for months. Now that you've filled us in,
I'm going to try some TSP in that machine, as well as in my clothes washer.

Bingo! It takes two maybe three washes to achieve full effect. I
assume that this is to clean out the hoses et al. I started with a far
heavier dose, but had some lime deposits that were cleaned off with
Bon-Ami and a rag.

Also, I came upon the following article:

http://pubs.acs.org/cen/coverstory/89/8904cover.html

Hmm, haven't had a chance to check that link.

But the question comes to mind, would this lack of phosphate also
effect washing machines? Especially in a single bachelor house, where
laundry generally gets done once a month, "need to or not". Although
there have been times when I've let it slide for two months.

tschus
pyotr

Joe Gwinn

--
pyotr filipivich
Next Month's Panel: Suicide - getting it right the first time.