Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default IKEA lamp transformer failed

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 14:37:20 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Tue, 12 Jul 2011 11:52:46 -0400, The Revd
wrote:

I have a halogen lamp from IKEA with a 120V to 12V transformer.
The rectifier (presumably) has failed and the transformer is
outputting 12V AC instead of 12V DC.

Can I wire in a generic rectifier to the output side to solve the
problem?

Nope. The first overvoltage power glitch will blow the bulb.

Which was my experience with various utility lamps running halogen
bulbs. The slightest power glitch blew the bulb. In my case, it was
a glitchy emergency generator.

However, I was wrong. The electronic transformer really is an AC to
AC transformer, not AC to DC. Sorry for the mistake.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D