Posted to sci.electronics.repair
larry moe 'n curly larry moe 'n curly is offline

Default Test components on the motherboard

Allen wrote:

It possible testing, with a multimeter, electronic components, resistor,
integrated circuits, on a laptop motherboard?

I think the practical limits are fuses, MOSFETs (lots fail with the
gate shorting to the channel), and maybe solder joints at connectors,
but with the latter it's probably better to simply resolder them. As
Kripton said, testing capacitors requires an ESR meter, but I think
with motherboards the capacitors usually have to be removed because
they're usually in parallel with other capacitors. Also laptops tend
to be made with high quality capacitors, which fail a lot, lot less
often than the junk capacitors found on many desktop motherboards.

Try http://www.LaptopRepair101.com for information about model-
specific problems and solutions.