Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default Lamp shade ratings and CFL

In message
,
alexander.keys1 writes
On Jul 12, 12:57*pm, Scion wrote:
The Argos catalogue has lampshades with different ratings for incandescent
and CFL lamps. e.g. Rated for 60W incandescent or 12W CFL.

What's that all about - I thought the rating was to prevent overheating and
therefore the rated wattage would be about the same regardless of the type
of lamp.

Is it me missing something obvious or is it the Argos catalogue compilers
automatically converting one to the other?

It's because of the heat emitted by the bulb, not the current drawn,
the heat production is equal to the wattage for whatever type of bulb.

Yebbut.........
While the light output may be the same, isn't a 60W incandescent a lot
hotter than a 12W CFL?
--
Ian