Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Lesher David Lesher is offline

Default Dishwashing machines need phosphates

Larry Jaques writes:

I've been on septic systems since I moved out of my parents' house.
Soap, paper, and bleach are bad for the system, so I go minimal when
possible. But my backside puts out enough healthy bacteria for the
septic system to continue doing its thing despite my laundry days, so
don't worry too much about it.

You forgot the real enemy, grease. If it gets into the leach
field....

I would imagine phosphates would encourage more plant growth
in the leach field, eventually clogging it. I know some areas
require 2 fields and a valve so you can alternate; presumably
the one lying fallow uses up enough nitrogen to solve the issue.

Year+ agd, befire the crash, WashPost had an article on
developer-built housing out past Dulles. They could not pass
perc testing so they built sand mound septic systems instead.

New homeowners soon found out they were VERY limited
detergents, bleach, etc that the mounds could handle. They were
going into town to use a laundromat, etc.

--
A host is a host from coast to