B a r r y

Default jointer as planer

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 13:10:22 -0500, Michael Press
wrote:

You risk getting the faces out of parallel of course (how
often would this happen?)

Most of the time. G

Any one who has face jointed a board and then thickness planed it has
seen how the early thicknessing passes don't touch the whole board.
Joint both sides, you'll probably double the error. The more wood you
remove, the more likely you are to taper the thickness.

I'm sure some very skilled, and somewhat lucky, people can pull this
off on a regular basis, I just have never seen it.

Another problem is accurately controlling the overall thickness.

There really is a reason why there are two different tools to do two
different jobs.

Barry