Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cavelamb cavelamb is offline

Default Dishwashing machines need phosphates

Ed Huntress wrote:

I was discussing this here with Dan just a couple of weeks ago. My last box
of TSP, which I bought less than a month ago, is 70% real TSP. It doesn't
say so on the box but you can learn that by searching for the MSDS. The
brand I bought is Savogran, which I bought at Home Despot. I mentioned in
that discussion that I prefer to buy TSP at a real paint store, as you say.

So it is a real issue, and, although I haven't seen anything about it for a
couple of decades here, taking it out of laundry detergent did seem to help.
I asked the guys at Oakite if the new stuff was as good, and they said that
it was not. But they said it could have been. The reason it wasn't is that
detergent manufacturers took advantage of the opportunity to make cheaper
detergent and they knew their competitors were all doing the same -- and
blaming it on the lack of phosphates. They said there are better ingredients
than phosphates today but they aren't cheap. However, the cost of the
chemicals in detergent really is trivial. It's the advertising and the
packaging that cost real money.

Ed,
We haven't been using the dishwasher.
Just two people it's hardly necessary.

But for laundry...
What about using borax?
Is there a similar feed-through problem with that?

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb