Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Just cut 30-foot tall 1.5 foot diameter oak (how long to dry out?)

"arkland" wrote in message
On Fri, 08 Jul 2011 22:14:04 -0400, Home Guy wrote:

The lumber in that tree was probably worth more that you make in a year.

I have other trees that I could sell. How does one go about selling 'the
lumber in that tree'?

Any suggestions?

Start in the Yellow Pages. I would imagine that they might pick it up, for
a fee. You, of course, would have to delimb the tree, that is, cut off
everything but the major portions. After all the costs, I imagine you would
owe them money. A load of trees to a mill is roughly 80,000#. That is two
tandem trailers of 20-25' lengths of straight logs 12"+ in diameter. If you
got that much, you might make some money. Of course, the permits and
environmental impact statement is going to cost you thousands. You will
have to do all the labor, too.

Let us know how you do. At about $150 a cord for good oak in some areas,
firewood may be the way to go.

Steve