Randy Chapman

Default jointer as planer

"Michael Press" wrote in message

At the risk of getting flamed, I want to find out if anyone is using a
jointer for thickness planing

Disclaimer - yes I know the jointer vs. planer debate is hashed out
here weekly, and the correct answer is that you need both a jointer
and a planer, so no need to flame me with those answers.

It's a PITA, but you can in theory use a planer, router and tablesaw to do
the job of a jointer.

You could probably use the same router sled trick that you would use to
flatten a board to also thickness a board.

The only way I can possibly imagine using a jointer for planing would be if
you first run the board on edge through your tablesaw or bandsaw as if you
would be re-sawing it, and then take a *tiny* cut off with the jointer to
smooth it. Your results might be acceptable.

disclaimer: this is all theory. I bought a planer first, then a jointer. I
haven't tried anything that I suggested, and don't plan on it.

--randy