Andy Dingley

Default jointer as planer

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 13:10:22 -0500, Michael Press
wrote:

At the risk of getting flamed, I want to find out if anyone is using a
jointer for thickness planing

Sometimes (mainly for small pieces).

If you plane one surface, then rip it to thickness reasonably
accurately, then you can take a few thin passes on a surface planer or
jointer without too much trouble. My jointer is sitting out ready for
use, my thickness planer needs to be lifted out and set up - it's much
quicker to use the jointer, if it's only a surface clean-up I need.

If it's not accurate to start with, or you're trying to shift much
timber from the surface, then you'll have no end of trouble and will
make wedges in no time.

--
Smert' spamionam