Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default Just cut 30-foot tall 1.5 foot diameter oak (how long to dry out?)

wrote in message ...
arkland writes:

On Fri, 08 Jul 2011 15:09:46 -0700, RicodJour wrote:

Split the wood while it's green. It's a lot easier and the wood will
dry out much faster. Much.

I don't know about you, but, I'm a 40 year old man with a gut. I swung an
ax into those wet oak logs. The ax stuck. Took me fifteen minutes to get
it out.

You have 2 problems:

1. Unsplit logs
2. A gut

The ax or the wedges can solve both problems.

A gas powered log splitter will only solve the first problem.

I'm 65.
You get the ax embedded in the log and then repeatedly smash the
log onto whatever surface you are cutting on. Wear gloves.

Save thousands in gym membership fees.

--
Dan Espen

I have a 26 ton splitter. If I didn't have a splitter, I would not be able
to have a wood stove. I have an artificial heart valve, and have had a 9
hour 5 way bypass/aortic valve replacement surgery. With the splitter, I
can do a lot of wood in a short time. No Luddites in this household.

Steve