Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Just cut 30-foot tall 1.5 foot diameter oak (how long to dry out?)

I've heard that logs take typically two years to "season"
and get really good.

Know what you mean about the exercise. Sounds like time to
see if any friends know someone with a gasoline powered
splitter. Wood seasons a lot faster, if it's split. Easier
to split, green? I'm not sure.

Wish I had better news.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"arkland" wrote in message
On Fri, 08 Jul 2011 15:09:46 -0700, RicodJour wrote:

Split the wood while it's green. It's a lot easier and
the wood will
dry out much faster. Much.

I don't know about you, but, I'm a 40 year old man with a
gut. I swung an
ax into those wet oak logs. The ax stuck. Took me fifteen
minutes to get
it out.

Then, I bought a cone-shaped wedge and a triangle wedge. The
points
barely make a dent in the log cross section, even with a 20
pound sledge
driving it home.

After, maybe a dozen or more swings, the wedge is firmly
buried in the
center of the 20-inch long foot and a half (or more for the
bottom logs)
diameter.

Then I drive the second wedge in to get the first wedge out.
After
fifteen or twenty minutes, I've split a single log in half.

Splitting the half into quarters takes half the time of the
original
split, but, the point is that these logs aren't going to get
split any
time soon.

Plus, it would seem to me that a log would split easier when
it's DRY!

Are you sure oak splits easier when wet?

Anyway, how does two months sound (all of July and all of
August in the
sun) for how long a log should dry before burning?