Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour[_2_] RicodJour[_2_] is offline

Default Just cut 30-foot tall 1.5 foot diameter oak (how long to dry out?)

On Jul 8, 5:46*pm, arkland wrote:
I was going to prune the top of a 30-foot oak, but on advice of this
forum, I simply chain sawed it down.

I cut up the logs into 20 inch lengths of from 1.5 feet in diameter down
to about six to ten inches in diameter.

I stacked the logs up, unsplit, and then began to wonder how long it
takes to 'dry' out for campfire use.

What's the rule of thumb (if any) for how long unsplit wood takes to dry
outside before being usable in a campfire setting? (The California
climate is such that it won't rain from now until December.)

I'm guessing the bigger oak logs might take all summer to dry out?

Split the wood while it's green. It's a lot easier and the wood will
dry out much faster. Much.