Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] hrhofmann@att.net is offline

Default Sony KV-20XBR Question

On Jul 7, 9:11*pm, Don wrote:
I have a 25 year old Sony KV-20XBR TV that's been darn near perfect
over a quarter of a century! *Amazing... last week, however, it
decided to die. *Here are the symptoms: 1). Color was obviously off,
so I checked it with a color-dot-bar generator. *It appears the Red is
gone, as the only bars seen are shades of blue and green, and 2).
Later, the picture slowly went to almost black -- you can make out
images, but vaguely.

Although I'm a tech (RF), I have no experience with TV
troubleshooting. *I know the TV is obsolete, but it's in "as new"
condition (not a scratch), and I really hate to take it to the
recyclers. *Any thoughts... do you think it might be in the red drive
circuit, focus circuit, the flyback, or the Trinitron CRT. *If it's
the latter, cost-effective repair is out the window. *I believe this
series of sets had a problem with cold solder joints. *Although I
doubt this is the problem, I thought I'd just mention it.

Thanks,
Don

Do you have an oscilloscope??