Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Dealing with height on ladders.

In article , John
Rumm scribeth thus
On 07/07/2011 13:26, Steve Firth wrote:
Timothy wrote:
As a matter of interest, what is the greatest height
that a relatively sane man would reach on a ladder?

I don't think there's any limit. I've seen steeplejacks working on ladders
at 400ft.

Steeplejacks ladders are very different to your average "lean against
the wall" class of ladder being bolted[1] to the thing you are climbing.

[1] I say bolted, but don't actually know how they fixed their ladders/

Usually they have "hook" type attachments built into the structure they
hook the upper part of the ladder onto then tie them together as they go
higher..

Well thats what Fred Dibnah did when he did the Gasworks chimney in
Cambridge..
--
Tony Sayer