Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] greenpjs@neo.rr.com is offline

Default Refrigerator Backup (Prius battery)

On Fri, 8 Jul 2011 06:29:46 -0700 (PDT), jamesgangnc
wrote:

On Jul 8, 9:12*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
They don't have 12 volt battery under the hood for starting?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"jamesgangnc" wrote in message

I am actually planning to use a 1.5 kw inverter connected
to a Prius.
It can run my frig including start-up.

You are aware that the current generation prius battery is
200v, the
early generations were 280v? *Have you found an inverter for
that?

They have a 12v battery for accessories. I think it's been pretty
well established that a 12v car battery won't run much of anything for
any period. A fridge will be 4-500 watts when running. That's about
35 amps at 12v,

Off the hybrid battery it would be more like a couple amps. Problem
then is finding an inverter that works at the hybrid battery voltage.
And since volages on hybrids varies pretty widely it would be a good
idea to find one with a wide supply range so that it works with your
next hybrid. I'm thinking that the inverter costs for this
theoretical project is now in the thousands.

I just responded in the other thread, but I plan to use 12 volts, not
the higher traction battery voltage. The car uses a DC to DC
converter to keep the 12 volt battery charged and starts its engine
periodically to keep the traction battery charged. The 2004 to 2009
model can supply 1000 watts continuously while the 2010 can supply
1500 watts. Other have used the traction battery for this, but I
don't want to modify the car.

To answer another question, the 12 volt battery is in the trunk making
it easy to directly attach to it and store the inverter there.