Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default $1,200 to Epoxy a Single Car Garage Floor?

On Jul 7, 10:37*pm, aemeijers wrote:
On 7/7/2011 9:33 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On 07/07/11 9:12 PM, Robert Neville wrote:
wrote:

It's the first estimate my friend got and he's wondering if this guy is
even in the ballpark.

Doesn't sound outrageous to me. If it's a good two part epoxy, with
two coats
put down, including the side foundation up to drywall, in a standard
residential
garage, you are looking at over $200 just for materials alone.
Porportionately
less for fewer stalls.

Second, as with most paint work, prep is 80% of the job. Removing oil
spills and
acid etching the floor takes a lot of effort, so labor won't be cheap.

Folks had an acryllic coating put down in their two car garage. Looks
similar to
epoxy, but slightly thicker and fills in any dimples or small cracks.
Was around
$2000 as I recall.

Actually you're right on the money. The "estimate" was from a mason who
said his friend does the jobs. He said that the last time he helped him
it was for a 2 car garage and the cost was $2K, so he estimated that a
single car garage would be about $1200.

We're not sure the garage is worth a fancy flecked paint finish, but
something needs to be done to prevent further deterioration.

I used to store a trailer in a neighbor's garage where the slab had
deteriorated so badly the dirt underneath was showing in many spots. I
laid plywood down to bridge the gaps so the trailer wheels didn't drop
into the holes!

Any slab THAT bad, the tool to reach for is a jackhammer, not a paint
roller. Too thin, and likely frost-heaved at some point. I've seen
countless cookie-cutter houses where, to save a few bucks, they did not
continue foundation under garage door opening, so slab was not supported
on that edge. Many garages have no foundation ledge to catch slab
anyway, and substrate/drainage under garage slab is often poorly done.
Seal at bottom of apron rots out, water gets under slab and freezes, and
you can guess what happens next. Doing it right only adds a few hundred
to cost of house. Do it wrong, and there is NO cheap way to make it right..

--
aem sends...- Hide quoted text -

Any clue what a tear-out would cost, considering the $1.2K epoxy
estimate seems about right based on various responses in this thread?
I know it's probably a "regional thing" but since the other "$2K for a
2 car garage estimates" mentioned in this thread match what my friend
was told, a ball park number would be good enough for now.

One other thought that he had was this product: A self leveling
coating that supposedly can be just poured onto the floor. It's DIY
thing he'd (we'd) be willing to try.

http://www.quikrete.com/PDFs/SPEC_DA...Resurfacer.pdf

The fast-setting product (1249-51) specifically says:

QUIKRETE Fast-Setting Self-Leveling Floor Resurfacer can also be used
as a wear surface for light duty industrial floors.

and

Following are typical substrates:
• Precast concrete plank
• New concrete floor slabs with unacceptable finishes
• Existing concrete floors with damaged finishes

As far as I know, there are no plans to ever park a car in the garage,
at least as long as the current owner lives there. The garage is used
mainly for storage.