Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default wood screws

J. Clarke wrote:
In , says...

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 08 Jul 2011 01:16:47 -0400, wrote:

Jack Stein wrote:
On 7/6/2011 11:54 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 18:29:53 -0500, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

Try using an impact driver to remove "stick" screws, they tend to be
easier on the screws and let the screws relax a bit

I guess the idea of trying to break them loose by hand is out of the
question, huh?
At least you'd find out just how much it's stuck.. ; ) GL

Do a test on several hundred and get back to us, eh, Bill?

Maybe it wouldn't be as bad with a suitable handle on your screwdriver?
Can you imagine one 3 or 4 feet long that you can lean into? As Lew
might say: you could loosen them all by lunch, and wouldn't even need to
get your pants dirty!

I've removed stuck screws with a brace-and-bit and my 200+ pounds
leaning on it. An impact driver takes them out more reliably and with
much less effort.

I believe you, but it appears that wasn't working here.

Today I noticed that my 3/4" schedule 40 black pipe (4' nipple) fit my
conduit bender. At least it seems to fit. With some steel rods and
maybe a bolt through the pipe, I could maybe rig it to hold a
screwdriver on the other end. With suitable plumbing, should be able to
add a handle for enormous leverage.

Leverage isn't the issue.

YES, the screws are STUCK! Friction is at work...gotta overcome that.