Posted to alt.home.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default $1,200 to Epoxy a Single Car Garage Floor?

On 2011-07-08, Robert wrote:

Doesn't sound outrageous to me.

Curious. Sounds totally insane to me.

What the fsck are you gonna do on this garage floor? Eat dinner off
it, sans tableware? It's a freakin' garage floor, ferchrysakes!

Fer ppl this braindead, YES! ...have the garage floor epoxied. Have
it chromed! Have it glassed! Better yet, have it jammed up yer ass!

nb

Scenario: oil covered area from old spill in walkway. Drive a snow covered
car in and the area gets wet. It is now like ice. Dangerous situation.
Epoxy the floor and you can clean up the oil spill completely. Wish I did
that to my garage floor.

Actually, the thicker acrylic coating sounds even better. My concrete man
was an idiot and put a heavy texture on the floor against my orders. Not
nice when you are crawling under a car and feeling around for tools. Much
rather have the smooth floor painted with the slip-resistant chips on it.

I had my new concrete floor covered with epoxy last year, and posted
questions and comments in this forum at that time. My two car garage is
roughly 27 by 24 feet.

The job was bid by several experienced epoxy painters, and the bids
averaged out to a little over $2K. The job was awarded to a guy at $1900
cash.

The work took 3 days given that the surface had to dry before a topcoat
and abrasive sand layer were added. The job was mostly a one person job.

The price did seem a bit high but I was not looking for a cheap job,
rather I wanted a great job.

The benefits of the epoxy immediately showed up last winter:

I no longer have ugly stains of salt and dirt staining my concrete. The
new floor can be so easily cleaned, and absorbs NOTHING....... Oil and
dirt and road salt from the winter sit on the top surface of the epoxy
and are easily removed.

One word of caution:

Be sure to have adequate abrasive / sand material added when the floor
is applied. The epoxy will be very slippery unless a knowledgeable
person applies the sand in the proper quantity. Mine is quite good
although I would have preferred a bit more traction as my wife and I are
senior citizens looking for a safe and stable surface to walk on.

Installers hesitate to use too much since the sand makes the floor more
susceptible to retaining dirt. I would rather have some dirt which can
be easily washed away then have a surface which can become slippery.

We wound up adding some LL Bean "WaterHog" rubber runners to the walking
area to add more traction, "just in case".