Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Sony KV-20XBR Question

Don wrote in message
I have a 25 year old Sony KV-20XBR TV that's been darn near perfect
over a quarter of a century! Amazing... last week, however, it
decided to die. Here are the symptoms: 1). Color was obviously off,
so I checked it with a color-dot-bar generator. It appears the Red is
gone, as the only bars seen are shades of blue and green, and 2).
Later, the picture slowly went to almost black -- you can make out
images, but vaguely.

Although I'm a tech (RF), I have no experience with TV
troubleshooting. I know the TV is obsolete, but it's in "as new"
condition (not a scratch), and I really hate to take it to the
recyclers. Any thoughts... do you think it might be in the red drive
circuit, focus circuit, the flyback, or the Trinitron CRT. If it's
the latter, cost-effective repair is out the window. I believe this
series of sets had a problem with cold solder joints. Although I
doubt this is the problem, I thought I'd just mention it.

Thanks,
Don

I don't know what is wrong/right/different about my eyesight but I would
consider it torture being placed in front of a pixelated screen rather than
CRT for more than a couple of minutes. Every modern screen I've looked at
(briefly) - anything moving across the image , judders across , in an
intensely annoying manner . So I will will stay with CRT TV for as long as
possible.