Posted to rec.woodworking

Default wood screws

On Thu, 7 Jul 2011 11:46:46 -0400, "dadiOH"
wrote:

Jack Stein wrote:
On 7/7/2011 4:20 AM, Puckdropper wrote:
Jack wrote in
:

*snip*

I didn't try this with a regular drill, might do that next. Impact
drivers I think are easier on the screws, the wood and the guy doing
the driving. They are awesome. They don't un-screw my deck screws
though, snap the heads off those suckers instantly.

I'd be interested to see the results of using a drill/driver. I
would venture a guess (hm... sounds like a hypothesis) that the
regular drill will damage the screws much more than the impact
driver.

OK, just did the test, only with the drywall screw though, and it went
in, didn't snap, and counter sunk the head almost completely, but not
quite. Much harder to keep a regular driver in the screw, required a
lot more down pressure than the impact. Anyway, it still didn't snap
and since I will always drill a pilot hole and countersink when
screwing hardwood, worrying about snapping a drywall screw is last on
my list of worries.

You do realize that the heads on DW and wood screws are totally different
even though they are both "flat", yes?

Right, DW screws have bugle heads, curved "flat".

--
Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt