Posted to rec.woodworking

Default wood screws

On Thu, 07 Jul 2011 09:04:24 -0400, Jack Stein
wrote:

On 7/6/2011 11:54 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 18:29:53 -0500, Leonlcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

Try using an impact driver to remove "stick" screws, they tend to be
easier on the screws and let the screws relax a bit

Absolutely. And try a quick blip tightening it first before backing it
out. This works with metal-on-metal connections and air impacts, too.

I did use an impact driver, screw snapped immediately. The next screw I
soaked with Kano and smacked it a few times with a Phillips driver and
hammer which usually loosens stuck screws, snapped that one as well.
These were stainless, with zero rust even after 20 years. I don't recall
snapping any putting them in. Not sure if being out in Pgh. weather
effected them, but my guess is the wolmanized decking shrunk around the
screws.

No, it's simple Oak Rust in Action, Jack. Let it go!

I know it would be a nightmare to replace the decking. I think one would
need to get a hole saw, cut over the screw down to the joist, lift off
the plank and wack off the screw with a sawsall. Would not be fun on a
600sq. foot deck.

Verily.

The good news is the deck is near perfect shape after 20 years of
Pittsburgh weather, and looks like it'll cruise for another 20, past my
time of worry:-)

Bueno.

I picked up that 4-tool Ryobi combo kit for $129 at the Borg this
morning after it got too hot to continue painting a client's house.

--
Happiness lies in the joy of achievement and the thrill of creative effort.
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt