Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03[_2_] DerbyDad03[_2_] is offline

Default $1,200 to Epoxy a Single Car Garage Floor?

On 07/07/11 9:12 PM, Robert Neville wrote:
wrote:

It's the first estimate my friend got and he's wondering if this guy is
even in the ballpark.

Doesn't sound outrageous to me. If it's a good two part epoxy, with two coats
put down, including the side foundation up to drywall, in a standard residential
garage, you are looking at over $200 just for materials alone. Porportionately
less for fewer stalls.

Second, as with most paint work, prep is 80% of the job. Removing oil spills and
acid etching the floor takes a lot of effort, so labor won't be cheap.

Folks had an acryllic coating put down in their two car garage. Looks similar to
epoxy, but slightly thicker and fills in any dimples or small cracks. Was around
$2000 as I recall.

Actually you're right on the money. The "estimate" was from a mason who
said his friend does the jobs. He said that the last time he helped him
it was for a 2 car garage and the cost was $2K, so he estimated that a
single car garage would be about $1200.

We're not sure the garage is worth a fancy flecked paint finish, but
something needs to be done to prevent further deterioration.

I used to store a trailer in a neighbor's garage where the slab had
deteriorated so badly the dirt underneath was showing in many spots. I
laid plywood down to bridge the gaps so the trailer wheels didn't drop
into the holes!