Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lawn sprinkler system? ? ?

On Jul 7, 8:08*pm, "Ray" wrote:
We have a shrub-free lawn about 60 feet wide, 15 feet deep, divided by a
walkway.

I'd like to get a SIMPLE sprinkler system to help avoid dragging hoses all
over the yard. I don't want some system that measures rainfall and
automatically turns on and off -- just something that I can turn on at two
locations and do the job -- then turn it off. I would think that two jets on
each side of the walkway would do the job.

It seems to me that this should be a fairly easy job that I could do myself.

Am I right? Where would I go to get the materials?

It may not be as simple as you want it to be. Some issues:

Permit? In many locations you need one to install a sprinkler system

Backflow preventer is required

In some locations that rain sensor that you want to avoid is
required by law to cut down on wasted water

It is fairly easy as long as you're comfortable with basic
plumbing and can figure out the appropriate locations for
heads, type of heads, etc.
The components are available either at home center stores,
plumbing supply, irrigation supply, or online. Online generally
has the best selection and pricing. I'd also reconsider not
making it automated. It's not that much for a controller and
if you have a place to mount it and can work it in, having it
fully automated sure makes it a lot easier. How many times
are you going to turn it on, forget about it and have it run
for 3 hours?