Posted to alt.home.repair

Default No comments from the GUN_Lovers

On Thu, 7 Jul 2011 10:03:45 -0500, "HeyBub" wrote:

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I think the .38 special is a fine defensive round, if you
have the right loads, and the right shot placement. The FMJ
9 MM is less than adequate.

To fire a .38 Special you have to use a revolver. While simpler to operate
than an automatic, it IS more difficult for most ladies. And you only have
six opportunities to wreak havoc.

Revolvers actually make great purse guns. They're "safer" than autos and more
compact. A hammerless revolver is perfect for such an application. My 6" 686
isn't, however. ;-) Either will make a perp **** pants.

With an automatic, you can have up to 17 or so little friends to punch holes
in the object of your affection, er, attention. I even have a couple of
30-round magazines for my 9mm Glocks.

I have a 32-round magazine for my Beretta but it's hardly something I'd carry
around for protection. A bit on the difficult side to conceal, too.

I strongly agree with your dismissal of FMJ (Full Metal Jacket) ammunition
(with one exception). Consider instead Glazer Safety (giggle) Rounds. These
bullets are frangible, meaning they disintegrate when they hit something,
rather than passing through the first thing the hit, four layers of
sheetrock, two exterior walls, and killing the baby slumbering peacefully in
its crib next door.

The one exception is wintertime in extreme climes where the do-bad may be
wearing everything he owns topped by a leather jacket. For such
eventualities, an otherwise over-penetrating round is indicated. In the
winter, I reload my carry piece with alternating Glazers and FMJs.