Posted to alt.home.repair
Hell Toupee[_4_] Hell Toupee[_4_] is offline

Default Is it *really* that rewarding to be stealing residential airconditioners?

On 7/7/2011 9:42 AM, Bob F wrote:
Hell Toupee wrote:
We had an article in the local paper that said the latest thing to
steal and scrap for metal is...cars. A couple ran out of gas on the
freeway and had to abandon the car. When they went back to retrieve it
a few hours later, it was gone. The following day they learned that a
tow truck driver picked it up and sold it to a scrap yard for $500
bucks and it was already destroyed. Turns out car thieves have been
selling stolen vehicles to the same scrap yard without titles. The
yard pays them, crushes the car, and the lawful owners are SOL.

When I sold a scrap car to a yard, I had to provide them with the title.

This yard doesn't concern itself with that. It says that requiring
them to collect proof of ownership from the sellers is
over-regulation, and bad for business. Yeah, when you're shady, I can
see how that would be bad for your business.