Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default wood screws

On 7/6/2011 7:32 PM, Leon wrote:
On 7/6/2011 3:46 PM, Jack Stein wrote:
On 7/5/2011 12:42 PM, Leon wrote:

Actually I can use a regular #8 flat head square drive screw with out a
pilot hole in 3/4" red oak. Using an impact driver, when the head begins
to bury inside the wood the wood will split. That was just to test the
strength of the impact driver.

And that is why I switched to square drive screws 20+ years ago.

OK guys, I just exited my shop after testing this out.

Using a 2" coarse thread #8 head dry wall screw, a Mcfeely's Robertson
2" #8 and a Home Depot 2" #8 outdoor screw and a scrap piece of 1 1/2
white oak (harder than red oak). I drove all of them right down past the
countersink level with my impact driver. I did this 5 times with the
drywall screw to see if a hot screw would snap as Mike suggested, and it
was hot as hell, but didn't snap.

I gotta say, I have never never never ever heard of or seen a dry wall
screw in a #8 or larger. Where do you get them?

I got them at a builders supply. The heads are #8 because before I
posted the message, I compared the head to a screw chart, then put it up
against a the head of the Mcfeely's screw. The body looks a bit thinner
than a standard #8 wood screw, but the head is definitely a #8 and
that's why I specifically said #8 "head".

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com