Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_6_] Meat Plow[_6_] is offline

Default Means of dropping watch battery voltage by .2 Volts

On Wed, 06 Jul 2011 17:11:57 -0700, D wrote:

On 7/6/2011 3:28 PM, Meat Plow wrote:

I own a solid gold 1965 Accutron. My jeweler has a device he lays the
watch on, it listens to the mechanism and tells you how much the
movement is off time. He was able to adjust mine down all the way to
about 30 seconds a month fast. I have no suggestion other than his
suggestion that there may be a retro-fit tuning fork out these
somewhere. This was around 2004.

Do some research, you may be able to find a fix. I wouldn't screw with
it myself, that stuff is awful delicate.

Thanks MP. I've worked on a lot of watches, so that part doesn't
trouble me, I just want to find the ideal way of dropping the voltage.
It is possible to adjust the action of the tuning fork, which sounds
like what your jeweler did.

Glad to offer an opinion for what it's worth. I took the watch, a gift
from my dad to the jeweler and was told immediately to not expect the same
time accuracy without a mercury battery. He was able to get it to +30
seconds a month which I could deal with. You might want to see if there
is a source for the original battery maybe from China that you could get
in a Chinese brand. I don't think they care much about the US
restrictions for mercury. I'm now wearing a gold Seiko Chronographer Date/
Time analog with three separate dials embedded into the watch face.
It's accurate to about one second a month. I don't need anything more
accurate than that. This watch is about 15 years old and takes a standard
lithium cell that lasts about 4 years.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse