Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cavelamb cavelamb is offline

Default Toolmaking??? What next!

jim wrote:
Phil Kangas wrote:
I never thought I'd see the day when something
like this could be done! Amazing, to me anyway...
phil k.

http://www.wimp.com/functionaltools/

I think they are overstating the strength of material

With the Zcorp process, that wrench would be about as strong as if it
were made of wood. And that is the strongest and most expensive
material. The typical Zcorp printed material is similar to styrofoam.

They do have another process that will print out sand molds that are
then filled with molten metal to make metal castings. But then there
would be some machining before you had a finished wrench

-jim

That was still mighty impressive.

And a "printed" mold for casting metals is pretty cool too...

--

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb