Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I bought a used Cameron mini drill press today

On 2011-07-05, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[ ... ]

I finally managed to get some photos. As usual, less than half are
on the memory card.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/organize/ has what I was able to retrieve
from the camera.

That URL wants me to log in or create an account -- with no clue
where your images are. Please try again.

I forgot that I was logged in when I copied the URL.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/materrell/ and click on 'Projects'.

O.K. No visible "Projects" to click on, but by clicking on
"older" I moved through the images to see the Emco among other things.

It is certainly different in several ways from mine, including
the X-axis is shorter than mine. Paint is yellow-orange, not the faint
pea green which this appears to be.

But -- looking at the rear view -- the column is very
differently mounted. Mine goes into an adaptor, with a split closed by
clamp screws to tighten the grip on it. Yours appears to have two
screws passing though the bottom of the column and something like a
V-block to hold it upright.

Column is 35mm diameter (just measured it).

Motor on yours hangs down from the belt housing, mine sticks up.

Switch is on the front of the motor.

Views of the Cameron miss a close one of the one which I was
looking for, the right side view. But it does sort of look like you
have the tilting motor for changing belts, instead of the thumbscrew on
the left to let you slide the motor mount in to get slack for belt
changes. Look on the right side of the rectangular block between the
motor and the projection from the head to accept the motor mount. There
should be a thumbscrew which sticks out enough so you can get to it
easily. Loosen it, and the rear of the motor will tilt toward the back,
moving the pulley towards the center and slacking the belts.

You have the belt guard, which I don't.

All of the views of the Cameron are cropped a bit too tight on
the top, so I can't see the indicator mount (which may or may not be
present, depending on the options supplied with yours.

O.K. I found the projects page, and I was able to zoom in on
the one which includes the belt sander and the Cameron, and see enough
detail to say that yours certainly *does* have the knurled thumbscrew
for letting the motor tilt for belt changes.

It would also appear that you don't have the dial indicator
mount.

No, there is no indicator mount.

That would replace the depth stop (larger thumbnut on top in
front of the one which appears to hold down the belt guard). You would
replace that with one which includes the same threaded shaft as the stop
has (and the nuts would transfer over) but would have a hex top end
perhaps 1-1/2" long, and (at a guess) perhaps 5/16" across flats hex.

The holder is an arm, with a hex hold broached in one end (and
split with a clamp screw with thumbnut) and a round hole in the other
end, also split with a slotted screw to clamp it on the shank of the
dial indicator. The arm is long enough to put the point of the
indicator centered over the top end of the column.

You can determine the angle of the feed lever by sliding a shaft
which fits into the hole in the shank, if you want to make a three-armed
hub. For quick and dirty, just slide the shaft which fits (turned down
a little in the middle where a screw through the end of the shaft holds
it in place. This will be quite awkward, but it will do to feed the
drill -- you will simply have to reach rather far back for the deeper
feeds.

Other than this -- it looks really nice.

Other than a ring of something on the table, it looks almost new.

You may need to adjust the end play in the spindle. To do that,
you loosen an allen head setscrew in the top of the pulley, and screw
the shaft into the pulley to minize the end play, then re-tighten the
setscrew.

Remember -- *don't* use an oil which gums -- *especially*
3-in-1. You want a fine spindle oil.

I already saw that information on line.

Oh yes -- when you first turn on the motor after it has sat for
a while, there will be a bead of oil around the spindle which will
splash out in all direction. Either tape a guard (some cardboard) to
catch it, wipe it off, or live with it. :-)

I turned it on before I bought it. It was nice and quiet, and the
spindle felt good and tight.

Note the column locking lever behind and a little below the
feed shaft. If you look a little above it, you will see a slotted
setscrew which is useds to adjust side play by bearing against the side
of the rack gear. See whether the front of the head can be pushed from
side to side, and if so, adjust this screw a little.

Read the downloaded manual for adjusting the belt tension.

Thanks for the tips. The pictures that disappeared from the camera
had more detail. It was almost 100 F when i took the photos, and I
didn't feel up to going back out in that heat to shoot them again. It's
supposed to cool off some over the next week, so I'll try it again.

Graingers has the Jacobs K0 chuck key for less than $10.