Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Means of dropping watch battery voltage by .2 Volts

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

Gareth is not a kid, and is in fact a highly experienced electronic

service
engineer, as are many of us on here. I'm sure that he did not intend any
direct disrespect to you personally, as that is not generally his nature.
However, just because a design is 50 years old, and was 'elegant' in its
concept, that does not make it necessarily 'good', and by today's

standards,
a design that purports to be an extremely accurate timepiece, but which

runs
at an incorrect speed when the batteries are replaced, probably

legitimately
counts as being 'crap'.

You're an intelligent person, and I never expected to hear that from you.

Mercury cells start at a slightly higher voltage than their "running"
voltage. The Accutron was designed to give accurate timing over that long
period of more-or-less stable voltage.

You'd probably find that modern watches aren't much more-accurate than an
Accutron.