Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_6_] Meat Plow[_6_] is offline

Default HP LaserJet 5L is streaking, how to 'clean' up?

On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 10:05:49 -0700, Robert Macy wrote:

On Jul 4, 4:25Â*pm, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
....snip.....
My kind of client. Â*A long lost customer grew from a tiny one person
retail establishment, to a major online and brick-n-mortar retailer.
During the growth, the owner was always worried about the latest
upgrade failing in some way that required reverting to the previous
computah system. Â*So, he would either continue to operate the old
system, and store the earlier systems, in working condition. Â*As late
as 2000, I was tinkering with a S100 (Compupro) system. Â*He never had
to go back to the old system, but the security it offered made the
effort worthwhile.

...snip....
--
Jeff Liebermann Â* Â* 150 Felker St #D Â*
Â*http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA

I like the way this guy thinks. Don't EVER move from point A to point B
without the ability to move back to point A.

Yep Jeff is one smart cookie. Redundancy is your friend. I learned that
working on live computer systems for commercial clients that ran 3 shifts
of CNC. Take them down for half an hour is a big deal. Screwing something
up big time and not having a redundancy plan to return before the upgrade
will lose you the client. Happened to me once on an old Novell 3.10 server
running a golf course point of sale system. Upgraded the OS to 3.12 and it
died in the process. Later figured out after a couple hours that the dos
partition was full and that's where the boot files are. Deleted some
orphaned files, re-ran the upgrade and all was fine. Didn't lose the
client but they spent a lot of time entering sales they wrote down on
paper back into the system. I couldn't charge my time ethically so I lost
300 bucks. That taught me a good lesson.

--
Live Fast Die Young, Leave A Pretty Corpse