Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default wood screws

On 7/6/11 9:39 AM, Jack Stein wrote:
On 7/6/2011 12:12 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

I've broken plenty. Cheap screws, or drywall screws for woodwork, or
deck screws.
If you try to drive them, take them out and drive them in again, that's
a sure fire way to break them from the heat from all that friction.

When I built my deck 20 years ago I used SS screws, figuring if I ever
needed to replace any of the decking, I could simply un-screw them.
Fortunately, I never needed to replace any decking but I tried to remove
two screws recently because they were not fully seated, and damn, not a
chance. Both heads snapped right off and it was a bear getting out the
shanks. If I ever have to remove this deck, I think I'll just set it on
fi-) If I ever build another deck (very unlikely) I'd get a nail gun
and nail the sucker. Cheaper and easier and definitely easier to
de-struct than non-cooperative screws.

I think the wolmanized decking shrinks around the screw, and over the
years, the screw becomes one with the deck...

IIRC, stainless is harder than your average metal. Harder = more
brittle, right?
In any case, my deck has those color-coded (joke) deck screws and they
snap right off if I'm not super careful..... and some times even when I
am. I think you're right about the shrinking.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--