Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default Bandsaw recomendation (once more around the block)

On 7/4/2011 6:54 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I think I'm getting close to buying a 14" bandsaw (perhaps after it cools down
and I can get into the "shop" again). Searching the web for reviews and
comparisons, as usual, leaves more questions than answers. I say 14",
primarily because of the weight of larger saws. It has to go in an attic over
a garage and though the floor is pretty sturdy (2x8s crossways on 2x12s) and
has no bounce, much over 300 pounds worries me.

If the floor is on 2x12's, 16" on center, and the walls supporting it
are block or on 16" centers, I wouldn't worry too much about the weight.
Buy the absolute best saw you can afford. My BS is the most used tool
in my shop, and you want one that works well, and easily.

If I were buying one, I'd probably go with the one Leon has, he seems
really happy with it. On the other hand, he has expensive taste.

A band saw has lots of adjustments that must be right before it works
well, and a cheap saw has cheap adjustments that will not be easy to
make, and probably won't stay right for long if ever. For that reason,
my advice is open your wallet, bite the bullet, feel the pain... once.

Oh yeah, the bigger the better if you plan on re-sawing.

--
I cut it twice and it's still too short...
http://jbstein.com

I've been considering a Rikon 10-325 for some time but some of the reviews
aren't very complimentary (blade change and adjustment). The Jet 14DXPRO and
Grizzly G0457 also have some detractors and some pretty serious problem
reports. The Laguna LT14 3000 is within range, too, but being the low-end
it's missing a lot, it seems. I've also looked at the LT14x14SUV and LT14SE,
out of interest (and still a possibility). The SUV looks like a really sweet
saw and in fact better (and heavier) than the SE, which is a few hundred more.
Discussion?