Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley Andy Dingley is offline

Default Dealing with height on ladders.

On Jul 6, 11:44*am, "tim...." wrote:

Show me a fully secured ladder and I will happily climb it. *Show me an
unsecured one and I feel anxious about half way up.

Which is better than it used to be, Twenty years ago I would climb
aluminium ladders OK, but didn't like wooden ones. One day - shortly
after I re-enacted the Road Runner coyote scene where he slides down
through the rungs of yet another rotten ladder - I chainsawed up all
of Dad's ladders for firewood. I realised that climbing past some
rungs you knew not to trust, and only relying on the ones with an iron
reinforcement wire in them, just wasn't how it was supposed to be.

These days though I'll climb most things if they're bolted in place.

OTOH, windowcleaner's triangular ladders can get stuffed. I know
they're more stable, but if I'm hanging onto something that narrow,
I'm not.