Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default wood screws

On 7/5/11 2:02 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Jack Stein wrote:

Honest, I don't recall ever breaking a shank on a drywall screw. I
have (rarely) broken shanks on regular screws, never (that I
remember) on a drywall screw. No reason to lie, just my personal
experience. I abuse the hell out of them too, because I know the
head won't strip. I'm more careful with plain screws where I know I
can strip out the head w/o much effort.

I've broken many Jack. Some because I tried to go too far, and more because
I bought cheap screws.

I've broken plenty. Cheap screws, or drywall screws for woodwork, or
deck screws.
If you try to drive them, take them out and drive them in again, that's
a sure fire way to break them from the heat from all that friction.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--