Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Angle iron

On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 17:48:03 -0700, wrote:

I needed some 3/4"x3/4"x1/8" angle iron for a project. Previously I
bought a 3-foot length in Home Depot so I headed back there. They had
an item with that description but it did not look like what I had
bought before.

I believe that "regular" angle iron is made by extrusion. These pieces
looked like someone put a 1.5" flat in a brake and bent it at right
angles (I believe the term for this is "formed"). I was reluctant to
buy this as it just did not *look* as strong as the regular extruded
type. I tried to work out the relative strengths from the Machinery's
Handbook but without success.

That might be shaped hot, via bending rollers. (like metal roofing)

So the questions a

1) Am I right in assuming that the extruded angle iron is stronger
compared to the formed type? If so by how much?

Given the same alloy, absolutely. Look at the crosssection. Extruded
is much thicker at the root of the V.

2) Is there a good reason why a 72" length of stock should cost 1.5x
as much per inch as a 36" length?

Only in the Borgs or retail stores. In real metalmonger stores, it's
cheapest in 20' lengths.

--
Just getting back after a farkin' virus ate my computer.
I'm still without any email or usenet archives. sigh