Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default How to prune the top of a 30 foot oak tree so it's a 20 foottall oak tree

On 7/5/2011 9:40 AM, RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 5, 2:08 am, wrote:

I've a 30-foot tall oak tree blocking my view from my bedroom window that
I wish to prune the top of.

I have a 28 foot ladder and an 18 inch Stihl chainsaw.

It would be dangerous to put the chainsaw on top of the ladder so you
could reach the top. Remember - never stand on the top rung of a
ladder or on a chainsaw.

Is there a good technique for topping such a tree? I'm worried that the
result will look clipped but I also don't like the tree blocking the view.

Is there an easy way to lop off the top ten feet or so, or will it kill
the tree?

These oaks are year round green. They drop leaves, but always grow new
ones, so, they're always green. I think it's called a California live
oak.

Any topping suggestions? It's about a foot and a half in diameter at eye
level and about 30 feet tall. I want it to be about 20 feet tall.

Ideas appreciated.

Sue?
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...766328484.html

Sounds similar to a situation my friend had. They have a lakefront
cottage that had some really nice trees. The lake area used to be a
sleepy little place until a second ring of properties were built. So it
is basically nice little lakefront cottages ringed with giant McMansion
"cottages". They went out to their cottage only to find the trees had
been cut down at the direction of a McMansion cottage owner because they
wanted to improve *their* view.