Posted to rec.woodworking
Peter Bogiatzidis Peter Bogiatzidis is offline

Default Great Expectations - Big Disappointment

Hello,

I recently purchased a Milwaukee 2691-22 18V Compact Drill Driver / Impact
Driver kit. The purchase was mostly for the impact driver for an ongoing
deck project.

After receiving it last week, I charged both batteries before use as
indicated. I only used the drill driver to pull out a few screws from an
access panel and subsequently close it up. Yesterday, I used it to drill a 3
1/2" hole through the side of the house with a hole saw. A couple of pieces
of wood shingle, which I removed to keep the hole saw clear, then the
sheathing and so on. As I proceeded, I removed the pieces, so as to not load
up the hole saw. The drill quit part way through, so I switched batteries.
Then the second battery quit as well. No slow down, as in a discharged
battery, but just dead. Perhaps that's how these new batteries are supposed
to function, I'm not sure.

Not quite what I was expecting from an 18V battery pack. I really don't
think that I overloaded the tool. If I did, then this definitely isn't the
right tool for me. I have other Milwaukee tools, both tailed and tailless,
that have performed well over the years. I was just looking for something
with a bit more power and battery life.

I've used my other tools over the years to drill holes with a hole saw in
1/2" or 3/4" plywood without any problems. In thicker material, I just drill
a bit, break out some of the pieces with a screwdriver, then drill some more
until the hole is completed. Anything wrong with that technique? It has
always seemed to work for me in the past.

Another disappointing feature is the battery meter button. It's more of a
cap rather than a slight bump, which seems to me like it would break or
crack after pressing it over time. Pressing it put a dimple in it and it
didn't return to its original shape. Not a big deal, but still not something
that you expect from a new tool. It just seems like a bad design to me.

Then there was also the fact that the drill driver kept popping out of drill
mode. With that I gave up on it and am going to return it.

As I said, I was mostly interested in the impact driver and the drill driver
and second battery were just extras.

Any comments or suggestions on what to look for going forward?

Thanks in advance to those who post a reply to the group.

Peter.