Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Mac Davis Mac Davis is offline

Default Can't figure out the bowl gouge

On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 12:00:45 -0500, "Pete S"
wrote:

Check out Steve's site.. Some excellent tips!
http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/

If you can, pick up an inexpensive bowl gouge like the ones Penn State
sells, like for about $25... Try it nd if you like it, duplicate the
angle on your other gouges..

As you progress, you'll find that most production turners use at LEAST
2 different angles, depending on how deep/shallow the bowl will be..

Thanks for all the input so far.
I got 3 inexpensive bowl gouges on Ebay. They all have about 35° bevels. I
guess my first step is the grind them to a lot less aggressive angle before
going at it again. I have seen recommendations all the way from 45 to 80°.
I will try about 70° for starters. I will also try to do the fingernail
grind that I see on youtube.
Metal turning has been my main use of a lathe for about 55 years. I
guess I am having trouble relating to wood- ie: holding the tools in my
hands.

Pete Stanaitis