Posted to rec.woodworking
basilisk[_2_] basilisk[_2_] is offline

Default Bandsaw recomendation (once more around the block)

On Mon, 04 Jul 2011 20:36:01 -0500, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

On Tue, 05 Jul 2011 00:36:06 GMT, basilisk wrote:

On Mon, 04 Jul 2011 17:54:01 -0500,
zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I think I'm getting close to buying a 14" bandsaw (perhaps after it
cools down and I can get into the "shop" again).

Wuss, we haven't turned the AC on yet .

It's been in the 90s every day since Memorial day. The attic gets
*hot*. ;-)

Searching the web for
reviews and comparisons, as usual, leaves more questions than answers.
I say 14", primarily because of the weight of larger saws. It has to
go in an attic over a garage and though the floor is pretty sturdy
(2x8s crossways on 2x12s) and has no bounce, much over 300 pounds
worries me.

I've been considering a Rikon 10-325 for some time but some of the
reviews aren't very complimentary (blade change and adjustment). The
Jet 14DXPRO and Grizzly G0457 also have some detractors and some
pretty serious problem reports. The Laguna LT14 3000 is within range,
too, but being the low-end it's missing a lot, it seems. I've also
looked at the LT14x14SUV and LT14SE, out of interest (and still a
possibility). The SUV looks like a really sweet saw and in fact
better (and heavier) than the SE, which is a few hundred more.
Discussion?

Not a direct answer for a 14" saw.

I purchased a grizzly 17" polar bear series back in the fall and have
been more than pleased with it.

I don't recall what it weighs but not anywhere near 300 lbs. All my
bandsaw experience was on 36" industrial size machines and I didn't have
my hopes set too high with the Grizzly machine, it really has exceeded
my expectations.

Interesting! I wasn't looking (much) at the 17" models. It's 266lbs
(340lbs shipping! - that's a lot of cardboard! . How easy is it to
change the blade

Takes about 10 minutes, that includes resetting the guides.
nothing particularly tedious in setup.

I notice that most saw tables are around 35" high (the G0513P is 37").
The Laguna LT14SE is the outlier at 44" (with the SEL back at 35"). Is
there a reason for this difference?

personal preference and height I guess, I tend to like machines
a little higher than my height would seem to indicate.
decarpented the shipping crate
down to the pallet and left the saw on the pallet, gaining 4 inches
or so.

Resaw vs. curvies? I would think
higher is better but perhaps not when resawing a 12" board.

basilisk