Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bandsaw recomendation (once more around the block)

Consider putting a 3/4" ply as a pad for it - to spread the load.
Consider putting steel sheet under small feet - so the foot won't
dig into the wood. Large washers are good.

Martin

On 7/4/2011 5:54 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

I think I'm getting close to buying a 14" bandsaw (perhaps after it cools down
and I can get into the "shop" again). Searching the web for reviews and
comparisons, as usual, leaves more questions than answers. I say 14",
primarily because of the weight of larger saws. It has to go in an attic over
a garage and though the floor is pretty sturdy (2x8s crossways on 2x12s) and
has no bounce, much over 300 pounds worries me.

I've been considering a Rikon 10-325 for some time but some of the reviews
aren't very complimentary (blade change and adjustment). The Jet 14DXPRO and
Grizzly G0457 also have some detractors and some pretty serious problem
reports. The Laguna LT14 3000 is within range, too, but being the low-end
it's missing a lot, it seems. I've also looked at the LT14x14SUV and LT14SE,
out of interest (and still a possibility). The SUV looks like a really sweet
saw and in fact better (and heavier) than the SE, which is a few hundred more.
Discussion?