Posted to alt.home.repair
RogerT RogerT is offline

Default Why a newsreader?

Higgs Boson wrote:

Somebody pointed out that Agent "Newsreader" CAN still be purchased
in various "strengths". I don't mind paying the $2.95 for low
volume. But is there something free & GOOD?

What operating system do you have on your computer(s)?

I have Windows XP on one and Windows Vista on another.

On the XP computer I use Outlook Express to read Usenet newsgroup messages.
I also downloaded and installed a free program called QuoteFix (not sure if
it is still available). So, to read the newsgroup messages on this Windows
XP computer I am using Outlook Express with QuoteFix.

On the Windows Vista computer I have, I use Windows Mail to read Usenet
newsgroup messages. That's because Windows Vista doesn't come with an
Outlook Express newsreader like Windows XP did. Windows Mail (which is
included in Windows Vista) is similar to Outlook Express.

To get actual access to the Usenet newsgroups, I used two different free
Usenet newsgroup servers (I think that's what they are called). The two

news://news.eternal-september.org and

news://nntp.aioe.org .

So, in other words, I get access to the Usenet newsgroup messages through
the two free services named above (instead of having to pay GigaNews or some
other service, and since my ISP's -- Comcast and Verizon -- dropped
providing its customers with access to the Usenet newsgroups). Then, once I
have access to the Usenet newsgroups, I use the free Outlook Express with
QuoteFix and Windows Mail to actually read the messages on the newsgroups.