Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default HP LaserJet 5L is streaking, how to 'clean' up?

On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 10:19:35 -0700 (PDT), Robert Macy
wrote:

Thank you for the fixyourownprinter website! Registered and found
the manual

Moe knows his printers. Of course, we've disagreed on one or two
issues.

I agree the 5L is a piece of garbage. The worst contrast I've ever
seen. However, I inherited the free LaserJet 5L from a client. The
printer contained a cartridge, plus had an additional sealed
cartridge. Can't refuse such a bargain.

Sometimes, I wish I could do the same. I have the really bad habit of
dragging bargains home from the recylers or thrift shops. All are in
need of "just a little repair". All too often, the repair costs
dearly in time and money. When done, I have a working piece of junk.
Like drugs, just say no.

Use it attached to the Win98
for the occasional hard copy (rare requirement) Thus, my budget for a
great printer is zero.

Sigh. Another dinosaur.

Also the same client had 6 of these printers
in storage to be trashed. They upgraded to a whizbang HP printer on
their network, which even printed B size sheets.

My kind of client. A long lost customer grew from a tiny one person
retail establishment, to a major online and brick-n-mortar retailer.
During the growth, the owner was always worried about the latest
upgrade failing in some way that required reverting to the previous
computah system. So, he would either continue to operate the old
system, and store the earlier systems, in working condition. As late
as 2000, I was tinkering with a S100 (Compupro) system. He never had
to go back to the old system, but the security it offered made the
effort worthwhile.

Junk the Windoze 95/98/ME boxes. W2K is worth saving. Or, just run a
small footprint Linux:
http://antix.mepis.org

I'll keep working on this to see if anything comes up that was the
obvious focus of failure causing the streaks. So far, it's like I
just wiped out the interior (which had little toner dust) and the
rollers (which were solid with toner) May have simply stumbled over
the repair solution.

If you can wipe toner from the printed page, then the fuser is not
doing its job. It melts the plastic dust into the paper. If that's
not happening, the fuser is a problem.

Judging from the list of symptoms, the printer has multiple problems.
So far:
1. Toner mess inside.
2. Fuser not getting hot.
3. Dead toner cartridge.
4. Encrusted toner on rollers.
5. Melted toner on the fuser pressure roller.
6. Toner overloaded pressure roller.
7. Possible paper jam (all LJ 5L/6L paper jam).

Thanks again, for jumping in.

I just hate to see a grown man suffer. Defenestrate it (and be sure
to make a video as it hits the ground).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenestration

Using the manual from the URL, just printed a Test Page, which only
has horizontal bars [streaks was a bad description] on print side,
with a pattern repeating every 3 inches.

Measure the spacing exactly. 3 inches would be a roller with about a
1 inch diameter (divide the spacing by Pi). I don't have a 5L handy
to measure the various rollers, but find a roller with the proper
diameter. It's not the feed roller as that appears dead center along
the length of the page. At 1" my guess(tm) would be the hot roller in
the fuser.

Each edge of paper has about 3/16 inch uniform ...nevermind, looks
like a 'frame' around the print, part of the Test Page.

Yep. There's a white area around the lines where the printer doesn't
print.

At least now I can use this printer, then fax to increase contrast.

Ummm... clean it out first.

Any idea fwhich roller is responsible for the bars?

Whichever one is about 1" in diameter. Hard to tell from here and I
don't have a 5L handy.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D