Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tom koehler tom koehler is offline

Default Can't figure out the bowl gouge

On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 12:00:45 -0500, Pete S wrote
(in message ):

Thanks for all the input so far.
I got 3 inexpensive bowl gouges on Ebay. They all have about 35° bevels. I
guess my first step is the grind them to a lot less aggressive angle before
going at it again. I have seen recommendations all the way from 45 to 80°.
I will try about 70° for starters. I will also try to do the fingernail
grind that I see on youtube.
Metal turning has been my main use of a lathe for about 55 years. I
guess I am having trouble relating to wood- ie: holding the tools in my
hands.

Pete Stanaitis

At the risk of mentioning the very obvious, you will soon learn that wood
will impose its rules upon you, much the same as the various kinds of metal
impose their rules on the engine lathe worker. I wish you the best of luck as
you start this new adventure in turning. Be willing to make mistakes.
Whatever works is right. Protect yourself. Have a good 4th of July.
tom koehler

--
I will find a way or make one.