Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Has anyone in the group ever had to verify your signatureon a credit card receipt?

On 7/4/2011 12:21 AM, harry wrote:
On Jul 3, 10:06 pm, The Daring
wrote:
On 7/3/2011 2:19 PM, harry wrote:

On Jun 27, 9:32 pm, wrote:
If someone used your card without your permission, would that not
already be fraud? Just wonder how often a signature dispute comes up.

Tch. How backward you Yanks are. Signatures indeed.
European credit cards have an inbuilt microprocessor. You put your
card in the slot and type in your secret PIN number. Lots of stuff
now, you buy& pay for without reference to any store employee.

It's a problem for Yanks over here (UK) when they produce their
obsolescent cards.

Harry my British friend, you keep forgetting that The U. S. is a lot
bigger than The U.K. and things like that are more difficult to change
on a national basis. I agree that we need the ability to punch in a
secret pin number of some sort for credit card purchases like we now
do when a the card is used in debit mode. My idea would give the CC
holder the feature of flagging his account voluntarily so merchants
would be instructed to ask for other ID when a purchase is made. I have
a lot of my accounts for different things setup so customer service reps
have to ask a phone caller for a password before proceeding. There is an
old form of harassment where someone angry with you could call a utility
and have your services cut off by pretending to be you. I have even
asked my commercial parts and equipment suppliers to ask anyone calling
up and posing as me to be asked for the account password before telling
them anything, including prices. ^_^

TDD

The system is Europe wide and trans-national. It has beenout now for
more than ten years. It save slots of money too as transactions are
automatic.
A credit card over here is worthless without the PIN number so theft
is far more difficult.
The technology is about to advance again,when a credit card can be
used as a swipe for small payments if the owner wants. The credit is
limited for this.

Your harrassment is due to technology lapses. Why do you think it's a
good idea to give a password out to anyone? It is obviously written
down/stored somewhere that is probably insecure.
Any form of ID you have can be discovered/duplicated.
We had/have people over here used to go through trash cans looking for
old electricity bills bank statements etc. They could steal your
complete identity and hence your money with scams you would never
think of.

It's not possible to get your power services cut off over here unless
there is an emergency (eg Fire). Responsibilty for the debts is
instantaneously transferred.

I had a long talk with an insurance agent about 10 years ago in his
office when I was pricing out an insurance policy for my business.
When I finished pointing out a number of information security concerns
he was very pale as the blood had drained from his face. The next time
I met with him, he informed me that he had purchased the document
shredder I had recommended. I think everyone is aware of the need for
one these days. ^_^

TDD