Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default OT Has anyone in the group ever had to verify your signature on acredit card receipt?

On Jul 3, 9:13*pm, "Robert Green" wrote:
"Malcolm Hoar" wrote in message

In article , Thomas Edward

wrote:
One of the reasons that the credit card issuers forbid the asking of
additional ID by the user is that most requests are for a driver's
license. Many DL's carry SS#'s, DOB, and address. These are prime
items for identity theft and fraud.
Since 1969 (my 1st CC) I have never been asked for ID and I have made
charges from about $10 to one for $22,000.

I'm asked for additional id on a regular basis.

If you are asked for additional ID you are being asked to participate
in breaching a civil agreement between the merchant and the CC issuer.
You could be giving your CC issuer a means to challenge a fraud claim.

Correct with Visa and MasterCard. And I usually decline a
request for additional id.

However, if you use other credit card types (like American
Express) the merchant may be permitted to require additional
identification.

If a waiter did ask me for both CC and license I might ask my dining
companion to help me follow him at a distance to see where he went and what
he did with the card and the license so that I could have a witness to my
citizen's arrest if I saw the waiter photographing my license with a
cellphone cam. *There is no GOOD reason to take the license away. *You can
*perhaps* use it to compare the signature with the signed receipt *at the
table* but walking out of sight with it is, in my mind, a sure sign of
something very rotten.

--
Bobby G.- Hide quoted text -

My credit card never leaves my sight. No-one else gets to handle it.
No wonder you have so much fraud.