K.-Benoit Evans

Default New Gen Int. 50-185 table saw (long post)

In article EssYb.24113$n17.19304@clgrps13,
"Chris Melanson" wrote:

I am sorry to hear that you looked at the "GENERAL INTERNATIONAL" line
of tools instead of "GENERAL" tools. Alot of people do not realize that
there is quite a difference between the 2 brands. The "INTERNATIONAL" line
of products is a economy line of "GENERAL" tools and the tools branded with
just plain "GENERAL TOOLS" is the higher end line.
As a professional cabinetmaker I would strongly recommend avoiding the
"INTERNATIONAL" line. I have 3 "GENERAL" table saws in my shop the oldest
being 20+ years old. (They are typically run 6 to 8 hours a day) I find
these saws to be one of the best cabinet saws on the market and one of the
easiest to maintain and set up. Also avoid link belts they tend to slip
under even moderate work load. A good set of properly set up belts should
last 3 to 5 years so it is well worth the time to use solid belts.

The "regulars" in this group know the difference between the two lines.
However, there is a great difference in price too! The International
line is intended to be competitive with similar lines offered by other
makers (Delta, Jet, etc.). The General line is a full-fledged commercial
line intended for industrial use.

Now, if I were planning to use a saw 8 hours a day for 20 years, I would
certainly buy a General (especially since I live in Québec). However,
woodworking is a hobby for me. I already work eight hours a day at a
regular job. At age 62, with a limited budget, and limited time, I
really don't think I could justify the extra cost of the General over
the General International.

--
Regards,

Benoit Evans